crystalmoon: (Default)
[personal profile] crystalmoon
Ok, so we've got all the basting done.  Our four fabrics now act as only two which means it's time to put the lining together and the outer layer together to create a single piece of each.

Technically, it's two pieces of each since the corset itself is split into two sides but you know what I mean.

This is where pinning is most useful as well as those basting stitches!  Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of it but remember how loose they were?  That allows me to pull on one thread in the stitching to gather up the ease and easily sew it evenly.  For those who don't know what ease is, it's when you have two fabric pieces that go together but one is longer than the other.  You pin down each end, and you get a big bubble of fabric that looks like it shouldn't fit.  You literally "ease" that fabric down by pinning or with basting stitches so it fits against the smaller piece, then sew it together.  This is used a lot in sleeves and such.

The pictures on the left is actually a very MODERATE pinning of the garment pieces together.  On areas with more ease or more curvature, I have about twice as many pins.  They aren't necessary per say, but they do make life easier.  Remember, the black thread is the basting thread that will be taken out.  I'm sewing the actual seams in white so the stitches won't be noticeable.


 















And on the right we have all the pieces attached to each other.  The top is the outside of the corset and the bottom is the lining.  I used a flash on that pic because I really wanted the organza to show.  This step was fairly simple as it really is just sew along the line.  Not a lot to discuss.  Ironing out the pieces was a trial in patience however.  You can sort of see in the right picture on the lining pieces the more opaque lines down the seams.  All of the seam allowances are ironed down to one side, all facing the back for uniformity.  The same goes for the outer layer even though you can't see it.  Ironing the curves of the chest area just doesn't work so well...

The next step in this process will be top-stitching for strength and stitching down the boning channels, then putting the lining and outer layers together which also includes adding the busk and boning... in other words; The scary part!  I won't go into it now, but lets just say I'm nervous about making everything sit correctly and fit the way it needs to.  Soo...  simple post this time.  I promise the next one will be less dull!

Good luck!

Date: 2012-02-16 07:25 am (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
You've totally got this! Waiting for part 4 =3

Profile

crystalmoon: (Default)
crystalmoon

February 2015

S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 23rd, 2017 12:43 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios